Tuesday 7 July 2015

My First Job (Interview)!

Today was a pretty good day for me.

At around one o'clock this afternoon, I got a phone call asking if I could go in for my first job interview ever today.

I was really excited and nervous when I answered the phone and then they asked to speak to me. I gave in my resume to teach swimming lessons at my local pool yesterday, so I wasn't expecting a phone call today.

They asked if I could go in for 3:30 this afternoon, and I was nowhere near ready.

Seeing as I had about two hours to get ready (leaving half an hour for a drive in case of traffic), it still wasn't enough. I had to take a shower, do my hair, do my makeup, put together a professional outfit and walk two dogs.

It's fair to say that I was stressed a little bit.

I went in for my interview and there were two interviewers. I was able to relax once one of the interviewers who presented themselves was someone I knew before, it was nice to have someone I know interviewing me.

I'm not sure if these are all the questions that they asked me, but here are the ones that I remember:

  • Why am I applying for this position?
  • What are my strengths and weaknesses?
  • What's a time when something didn't go as plan and what did you learn from it?
  • Do I have any experience in services (volunteering or a past job) and how have I performed to offer a service? (what have I done to keep everything even and keep the people I've worked with happy?)
  • What does teamwork mean for me and what would I bring to the staff team?
  • What would I do with a swimmer who doesn't want to put their face in the water?
  • Why should they hire me and what would I bring to the aquatics team?

At some points, I would have to pause to form my answer, but I left the interview feeling as though it went pretty good.

I went back upstairs to see my mom and let her know that we could go, but she reminded me of a question I had to ask to the interviewer whom I previously knew.

When I went back downstairs, I asked my question, but he turned to the other interviewer before I left and said "Let's just give it to her now, she's already here."

I was lost at that and the other interviewer noticed that, so she said to me "I was going to follow you upstairs to give you the payroll papers but I figured you'd already be gone. It's great that you are back down though!"

I was still lost, but the interviewer whom I previously knew before went over the forms I had to fill out to be an official staff worker.

The hired me right there!

I was shocked but really pleased with myself. It's a job that's slightly above minimum wage, but that's still great!

I came back out to show my mom the papers and she was also surprised! I was expecting a phone call or email in two or three days, but this was amazing.

I already have the majority of the paperwork filled out, I only have a few lines left to fill out.

Tomorrow, I'm going in for a mandatory orientation that I'm possibly getting paid for, but that just means that I'm starting soon and I couldn't be any happier with myself.

I'm immensely nervous to start working, but I think it will be good for me. I love swimming and I love teaching little kids; it seems like a pretty good job for me.




Until next time!

Post a Comment